GLBT Bookshelf

GLBT Bookshelf
Bookstore, Author's pages, Reviews, Forums

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Immortal Fire Anthology

I just finished the 7 stories that make up this anthology and I'm actually quite stunned; not quite the reaction I expected, but it definitely has a bigger impact than I had thought it would.
Firstly I have to say that the stories all deal with the theme of Immortals within M/M romances. They're also quite... varied in their genres shall we say.  The setting for Adrianne Brennan's Dawn of the Seraphs is very futuristic.  Bryn Colvin's Death and the Immortal as well as Clare London's Out of Time are more along the lines of paranormal fantasy.  Jaime Samms' WindBlown deals with long-lost Atlanteans, while M. King's Almost Human is a paranormal futuristic tale. And Nix Winter's Timeless is almost an amalgamation of futuristic fantasy.  Then there is Jaime Samms' Black Roses which is... fantasy?
Whatever else you call them, these stories are all, at the least, good reads. A couple of them totally blew me away and one I rate a 5 star read... it was amazing!  And that's disregarding that there were a couple of stories that it took me a few minutes to acclimate to.  Mostly because they were completely out of my frame of reference ~ really futuristic sci-fi stories often do that to me. But once I sat back and let the story come to me and tell its tale I was fine.  Getting interested in the various characters was no challenge at all; instead I found myself going from one story to the next in almost a daze... of amazement mostly.
Individual stories and ratings follow.  As far as I'm concerned there is not one loser in the bunch, not even a story that I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend; certainly I'll be looking for more books from each of these 6 authors.

  1. Jaime SammsBlack Roses:  3.5 to 4 stars
  2. M. King ~ Almost Human: 4.5 stars 
  3. Clare London ~ Out of Time: 4 stars
  4. Bryn Colvin ~ Death and the Immortal: 5 stars
  5. Jaime Samms ~ WindBlown: 4 stars
  6. Nix Winter ~ Timeless: 4 stars
  7. Adrianne Brennan ~ Dawn of the Seraphs: 3.5 to 4 stars
Over the next couple of days I will be posting individual reviews of each book... they certainly deserve their own. This review is for the overall anthology / series.  My first exposure to the publising house Loveyoudivine was great!  I'm also very much looking forward to any and all follow-up stories... and soon please!

No comments:

Post a Comment